As quarantine-driven projects increase, Pinterest launches new board features to make home, wellness, gifting plans and more a reality
As the platform for inspiration and planning, Pinterest has seen surges in searches, saves and newly created boards for topics like home improvement, at-home workouts, and shopping for baby products, essential goods, and gifts. While life in quarantine has been unexpected, it hasn’t stopped people from planning and looking ahead to the future. In fact, there’s been a 35% year-over-year increase in the number of monthly boards created1 . Additionally, there’s been significant growth in boards created in top Pinterest categories, including a 44% increase in beauty, a 95% increase in women's fashion and a 36% increase in home decor2 . That’s why today we’re introducing features to boards to make it easier to plan and manifest all of that visual inspiration from Pinterest into real life, with new notes to self directly on Pins, board favorites and a board toolbar.
- Notes to self is a new section on saved Pins to add private notes to make it easy to come back to and take action, like “try this for brunch” or “this will go well with the living room rug”.
- With active boards containing on average more than 150 Pins, the new board toolbar makes it easier to sort through Pins with an easy-to-navigate section at the top of the screen showing all of the actions that can be taken on a board — from exploring more ideas related to Pins to organizing, accessing notes, and even to-do lists.
- Board favorites - We’re testing a feature that enables Pinners to mark top Pins as a favorite by tapping the star icon on the Pins in their boards. Sort boards by favorite Pins and make it easier to find top ideas and take action.
This year, newly created boards titled “dream lifestyle” increased 3x as Pinners plan what to shop, figure out new routines, and how to improve their homes while on lockdown. Additional planning trends include:
In the past six months, there’s been a historical surge in boards created for baby products. The number of Pinterest boards created for shopping and wish list-ing with titles like “baby products” are now 78x greater. That means more people than ever are turning to Pinterest to plan for the baby items they’ll need, which might just match to impending quarantine babies born 9-10 months after quarantine first began.
As people look for ways to make their home more efficient for working and schooling from home, outdoor living, more cooking from home, and family entertainment options, newly created boards for home improvement projects with titles including, “homeschool room design” (11x), “furniture projects” (+68%), and “small home gyms” (+48%) have been skyrocketing.
More time at home and less commuting means defining balance for the self, driving an increase in fitness and wellness boards with titles like, “workout videos” (6x), “gym workout for beginners” (7x), and “grounding exercises” (5x).
Shopping from the saves to the splurges
With changing needs throughout quarantine, and as some have saved money from not traveling or other expenses, Pinners are shopping for a range of products. There’s been an 83% increase in “everyday essential products” boards and an 83% increase in “my dream closet” boards. And there are more people planning for holiday gifts this year, with a 70% increase in “family Christmas gifts” boards. In searches, queries for "personalized Christmas gift ideas" are up 46%, and searches for “luxury gifts” up 3x.
"As a home chef who is growing my brand rapidly, I am learning so much from my followers as they cook my recipes. They offer amazing ideas, insight and feedback - so being able to take notes on each Pin allows me a place to quickly jot down these things as they come up!” -Pinterest creator Grossy Pelosi
Did you know?
Boards are also a great place for creators to collaborate with each other, brands or Pinners and showcase their ideas by adding contributors. Organize ideas with a 'board within a board' using sections or sort boards alphabetically. Also add shopping or to-do lists to a board to make it easy to take action. When a project is complete, archive the board to stop getting recommendations for that project.
Whatever the board name, project, or if it’s a group board or secret board, here’s to making those Pins a reality. Keep an eye out for our annual look-ahead trends report in the coming weeks for more inspiration!
1. Source: Pinterest Internal Data, Global, Nov. 2020
2. Methodology: Pinterest Internal Data, Global, October 2020
3. Methodology: Unless otherwise noted, increases are calculated by comparing the number of newly created boards with the indicated titles during the last six months (June ‘20 to Nov ‘20) to the six months prior (December ‘19 to May ‘20)
- 1 Source: Pinterest Internal Data, Global, Nov. 2020
- 2Pinterest Internal Data, Global, October 2020
- 3Unless otherwise noted, increases are calculated by comparing the number of newly created boards with the indicated titles during the last six months (June ‘20 to Nov ‘20) to the six months prior (December ‘19 to May ‘20)