Women around the world come to Pinterest for inspiration as they make decisions big and small, to navigate life’s moments. The purchasing power of women is not to be ignored. As the global income of women reaches trillions of dollars, women are expected to control almost 75% of discretionary spending worldwide by 2028. These women are using Pinterest to find ideas for dinner, travel, home and family clothing choices. But it doesn’t end there.
In 2020, it’s clear that women are also looking to Pinterest for support and empowerment in their most independent and life-changing decisions. Everything from traveling solo, living (and budgeting) with a partner, negotiating a tough salary, to buying a first home — no choice is too big. As the platform that reaches 6 in 10 U.S. women, 8 in 10 moms and 75% of millennial women, this International Women’s Day we’re celebrating all the inspiring ways women are using Pinterest for empowerment, as well as those who help empower and support them (we see you, allies!).
Follow your own path: With women searching Pinterest for solo travel ideas (solo trip +63%), there’s no need to wait around for a travel buddy with the same wanderlust fantasies as you.
- Ask yourself out: Searches for Solo date ideas are up 57% as women get out there to enjoy their own company.
- Home sweet home: With searches on how to buy your first home +124%, women are no longer waiting for the traditional family unit to get their dream home. According to the National Association of Realtors, 18 percent of homes last year were purchased by single women, compared to 9% single males and 8% unmarried couples.
- Do the (side) hustle: Searches for business ideas start up +941% as women plan for taking action on their big ideas. See below for stories from Pinners who did just that.
- Back to school: Increasingly women are searching for tips as they prepare to head back to school after, or alongside the full-time job of mom’ing (going back to school as a mom +53%).
Women supporting women: As women succeed, they look for ways to encourage others, with the following searches on the up and up: inspirational quotes for women motivation +755%, inspirational quotes for women encouragement +300%, and girls support girls quotes +399%.
- Trending searches by men: We're seeing spikes in searches by men as household management responsibilities are split,, from doing the kids' hair, to prepping meals. What's a gender norm, anyway? Searches by men include: Hairstyles for kids +247% and kids braided hairstyles +203%, cleaning schedule +343%, House cleaning tips +193%, and easy family dinner ideas +35%.
Pro-tip: Make all your collaboration even easier with Group Boards, where you can organize Pins, add reactions, and communicate right on the board.
Trending searches: Percent increases are calculated using normalized searches from January ‘19 to January ‘20.
Women on Pinterest stat from ComScore data, US, March 2018
Purchasing power data from Ernst & Young Global’s EY, July 2018 (source)
Real estate data from National Association of Realtors, April 2019 (source)