Pinterest announces its Pinterest Predicts 2023 report to reveal the trends that Pinterest believes will rise next year
Today, Pinterest is announcing Pinterest Predicts 2023, the platform’s annual selection of the most inspiring and interesting trends for 2023.
Over 400 million people come to Pinterest each month to plan for the future.1 Because people turn to Pinterest to look forward and get ideas, the platform is able to leverage this search data to gain early insights and identify what’s coming next in the culture before it actually starts trending. For its annual Pinterest Predicts report, Pinterest analyzed what people have been searching for on the platform to identify the top trends that Pinterest expects will emerge or continue to grow in 2023.
Predicting what’s going to be big in 2023 isn’t guesswork. The report reflects multiple months of data, analysis and evaluation. The result is a comprehensive report of the soon-to-be global trends for 2023 that can’t be found anywhere else. And Pinterest continues to get it right: for the third year in a row, 8 out of 10 trends the platform predicted came true.2
Pinterest trends do much more than just look forward. They take off faster, last longer and inspire more across categories.
They take off faster
- In a recent study with Black Swan, Pinterest trends took off 20% faster than trends across other platforms in their first six months.3 That kind of momentum translates to cultural relevance for advertisers and brands, because they get ahead of a trend that rises fast.
They last longer
- Trends on Pinterest sustained monthly growth more than 20% longer than trends on the rest of the internet.3
They inspire across audiences
- When people engage with trends on Pinterest, they don’t just search for them once. Pinners often revisit them several times, searching above and beyond their original vertical or category.3 These repetitive searches provide a unique opportunity for brands to own trends across additional categories and reach people beyond their original target audience.
Click here to learn more about how trends can help boost advertisers’ business.
Top themes and trends that Pinterest predicts will rise in 20234:
- Fashion: 2023 fashion will be all about Airy styles as lace, tulle, ruffles and shimmer become increasingly popular, especially with Gen Z and Millennials. After two years of sweatpants and loungewear, the focus is now on body-baring silhouettes. What’s more? Move over, Barbiecore—there’s a new main character in fashion as Gen Z and Millennials romanticize their closets next year with slip dresses, tube tops, cargo pants and claw clips to channel that main character vibe. Introducing: Romcom Core.
- Home: Boring homes are a thing of the past. In 2023, people will embrace the Hipstoric home trend and find new ways to honor beloved items in their homes combining vintage—often inherited—pieces with their modern styles. And people will bring creativity and eccentric vibes into their bedrooms with the Mush-rooms trend, a maximalist expression of “weirdcore” decor.
- Celebrations: Dog days are over! Time to throw a party. Gen X and Baby Boomers are turning their attention to their fur babies and substituting kid-oriented gatherings with Pool pawties. Dogs diving! Puppers paddling! Barking belly flops! In 2023, pool parties will be for the dogs.
- Wellbeing: Wellbeing is a key category that has become even more important over the past years. In 2023, people will trade their screens for stretches and their desks for tricep dips with searches around Primal movement. And it’s not just fitness getting the spotlight treatment: the postpartum period will become even more of a focus for both new parents and non-parents alike, as The Fourth Trimester.
From celebrations to fashion to beauty and travel:
Click here to view the full list of Pinterest Predicts 2023 trends.
Read more about the science behind Pinterest Predicts 2023 here.
1 Pinterest, Global analysis, Q3 2022
2 Pinterest, global search data, analysis period Jul 2018 to Jun 2022.
3 Black Swan Data for Pinterest, trend analysis, US and UK, June 2021
4 Pinterest, global search data, analysis period Sep 2020 to Sep 2022. Please note that Pinterest's Advertising Guidelines prohibit targeting of any audience based on race, ethnicity, religious beliefs or sexual orientation, among other things. For more information, please see our Advertising Guidelines.