Pinterest introduces “Takes” and new ways to watch, discover and shop at Creators Festival — kicks off global activation with Jennifer Lopez, Megan Thee Stallion and Storm Reid
Today Pinterest is introducing new Pinner products and experiences globally, as the platform continues to evolve to become home for the next generation of creators. The new suite of features were unveiled at its second annual Pinterest Creators Festival featuring Megan Thee Stallion and Storm Reid and creators Kerin Rose Gold, Wendy’s World, Henri Purnell, Carolina Gelen, and China Bell.
These new experiences empower creators to publish and drive meaningful engagement while getting paid for inspiring content, and provides Pinners with more ways to watch, make and shop creator ideas.
Introducing an all-new watch experience
Among the new features, Pinterest redesigned its home feed to offer Pinners the option to “browse” or “watch” when looking for inspiration and ideas. The new “watch” tab is a fullscreen feed of Idea Pins users can scroll through and engage with fresh content from creators. It shows the best Idea Pins relevant to a Pinner's tastes and preferences. The “browse” tab is an evolution of Pinterest’s traditional inspiration feed. Providing both a “watch” and a “browse” option puts the power in users’ hands to choose how they’d like to get inspired. The new experience will be available to Pinners in markets where Idea Pins are available on iOS and Android starting today.
"Takes" make everyone a creator on Pinterest
Creating on Pinterest is different. We're introducing takes, a new way for Pinners to respond to a creator's idea with their own Idea Pin. Takes allow creators to build more meaningful engagement with their communities and inspire action. Unlike other apps focused on entertainment and passive scrolling, takes are designed to inspire Pinners to try something new, and empower creators to build community around shared passions. Pinners’ responses will link back to the creators’ original Idea Pins, and creators can also highlight top takes from Pinners. Takes is available on iOS and Android for Pinners and creators globally.
Pinners will also be able to create Idea Pins for the first time with a range of new publishing tools to make their Idea Pins more actionable, including: seasonal and interactive stickers, thousands of music tracks with new editing capabilities, new video editing and recording capabilities, and a preview mode which helps creators see the final output before publishing. Additionally, Pinners who engage with creator content will see a comment code that reinforces positive interactions with creators. This new comment code builds on the recent launch of the Creator Code, our content policy designed to keep Pinterest a positive and inspiring place.
Paying creators $20M for inspiring content
Today, Pinterest is rolling out “Creators Rewards,” its first-ever in-product monetization program for creators, and the latest initiative to pay creators for producing inspirational content. Access to Creator Rewards is available in the U.S. through an all-new global Creator Hub, where creators can manage their Pinterest presence with tools, tips and insights. Additionally, as part of Creator Rewards, Pinterest is also providing micro-grants for projects that creators are passionate about or want to bring to life. For example: start a community garden, create a wellness program or fund a new beauty look. On top of that, Pinterest will issue a series of engagement-based goals inspired by trending topics or new Idea Pin features, and creators will have the opportunity to get paid for meeting the goal requirements. Pinterest is investing $20 million for Creator Rewards and other initiatives to support creators.
In April, Pinterest launched its first-ever Creator Fund in the US, a program that elevated creators from underrepresented communities through financial and educational support. In July, the company introduced even more ways for creators to earn money on Pinterest, giving them the ability to make their Idea Pins shoppable, earn commissions through affiliate links, and partner with brands on sponsored content. Today, Pinterest is expanding its product tagging tool to include the Amazon Associates Program so creators in the US can add affiliate links from Amazon and earn commission on qualifying purchases. Research shows shoppers who visit Pinterest weekly outspend non-Pinners by 2x every month and have an 85% larger basket size.*
Continuing to make Pinterest more shoppable
Pinterest continues to make Idea Pins more shoppable, now integrating them with AR Try on, its augmented reality beauty try on. This new capability allows creators to tag their Idea Pins with a new Try on sticker to add lip products, empowering Pinners to try on and shop right from the Idea Pin. To access the new feature, creators can select the Try on sticker and search over 10,000 Try on-enabled product links to add to an Idea Pin.
Additionally, creators now have the option to make their Idea Pins automatically shoppable by enabling shopping recommendations on their Idea Pins. The 'shop similar' feature uses Pinterest's visual search technology to recommend Product Pins that are visually similar to the content within the Pin, giving Pinners the ability to shop what they see. With this new feature, Pinterest is enabling visual search on video content for the first time.
Celebrities encourage Pinners to “Create Your Take” in global activation
“For years, I have used Pinterest for fashion inspiration and beauty trends. It’s a positive corner of the internet where I can be myself, explore ideas and try new things, which is why I am excited to become a Creator on Pinterest and to hopefully inspire others with my Idea Pins. I appreciate that the platform has many unique features, inclusive technology and strives for a kinder social media experience.” -Storm Reid
To further inspire Pinners and creators to take action on the inspiration they find, Pinterest kicks off its global "Create Your Take" activation, featuring celebrities like Jennifer Lopez, Megan Thee Stallion, Storm Reid, and more. Each notable creator will share an inspiring Idea Pin, encouraging Pinners to build on that idea and share their own take—everything from Halloween ideas to fall fashion to dog style. The activation will be rolling out between October 2021 and March 2022 in the US, Canada, UK, Australia, Germany and France.
Introducing Creator Originals: Pinterest’s first-ever original content series
With a focus on the hottest emerging creators, Pinterest is launching Creator Originals, a new content series featuring over 100 creators across 10 countries who represent the best of Pinterest. Starting today until January 2022, each creator will release a series of original Idea Pins on a specific theme meant to educate, teach and inspire Pinners. Pinners can discover the new original programming in the Daily Inspiration section on the search tab starting tomorrow.
The new content series will teach Pinners a new skill, then will prompt them to create their own take on the idea. Pinners can view individual Idea Pins in the series, or they can watch them sequentially for a more comprehensive experience. Below is a snapshot of some of the creators Pinners will get to watch right on Pinterest:
- Beauty unpacked with Priscilla Ono: Celebrity makeup artist Prisicilla Ono - best known as the global makeup artist for Fenty Beauty - will teach how to take care of your brushes, how to nail your foundation and concealer routine and how to recreate ‘90s supermodel glam, among other skills.
- Fête styling with Kelly Wearstler: Get into seasonal celebrations by perfecting your decor from fall to winter with design guru Kelly Wearstler.
- Wellness with Ally Love: CEO of Love Squad, Peloton instructor and host, Ally Love will share her skincare routine after sweaty workouts, her favorite smoothie recipe, the basics of bossing up and how to style athleisure.
- Let’s get dressed with Zerina Akers: Emmy Award-winning costume designer Zerina Akers will teach Pinners how to style one item multiple ways, how to elevate everyday looks, how to pick the right accessories and how to transition an outfit from day to night.
- Hair for it with Kahh Spence: Celebrity hair stylist, beauty expert and entrepreneur Kahh Spence will show his post-flight hair hacks and easy hot weather hairstyles, teach how to lay baby hair and share his must-pack hair products.
- Cooking better with Joshua Weissman: Professional chef Joshua Weissman will take you through culinary school—his way. You’ll learn the art of perfectly cooked rice, emulsifying mayo, braising a chicken and mastering knife skills, among others.
- Southern cooking with Kia Cooks: Chef Kia Damon will teach how to assemble a festive Southern dinner table, one dish at a time. She’ll take you through her modern take on classic staples such as biscuits and gravy, turnip greens, and smothered chicken.
- Hype my home Mat Sanders: Join home and design trend setter Mat Sanders as he inspires and uncovers interesting tweaks to your living space for a fresh and updated look.
Pinterest is deliberately designing a product rooted in inspiration, inclusivity and positivity for Pinners, creators and brands. These latest features address the changing needs and expectations of creators and consumers online, and they enable everyone to inspire, build and reach new audiences; engage with a community around shared passions; earn money with original content and become a storefront for merchants. The new features and experiences will start rolling out on iOS, Android, web and desktop today.
* Source: Dynata for Pinterest, US, 2021 Shopping for fashion and beauty among people who use Pinterest compared to people who don’t use Pinterest but use other platforms, April 2021