Pinterest Predicts is back—and in it’s eighth year, it’s bigger than ever with 175+ key trends we predict will rise in 2022.
Today, we’re announcing the findings from our annual Pinterest Predicts trend report, featuring more trends, local spotlights, new demographic info, and a multitude of new opportunities for advertisers, creators and consumers. Our insights aren’t a retrospective, or a round-up of what was trending — it’s a predictive look ahead into what will be trending in 2022 across home, beauty, fashion, food, wellbeing, parenting, travel, design and more. To predict these trends, we analyzed what our 400 million+ monthly users around the world (1) have been searching for (and with an average 80% accuracy (2). We then spotlighted the most inspiring ideas to explore for the year ahead based on these emerging searches.
People come to Pinterest to plan what to do, try or buy next. And this year, we've partnered with a group of the hottest up-and-coming creators around the world who are bringing these trends to life everyday through Idea Pins and in the US, on Pinterest TV. From SweetLikeOyin to Hand Luggage Only, these global tastemakers share exclusive insights on how they tap into our trends and manifest them, turning inspiration into realization to truly help Pinners create a life they love. And for advertisers, we’ve made the report more actionable than ever, with business tips to help brands take advantage of each rising trend.
So what’s going to spike in 2022? Below, a peek into some of the predictions we’re calling for the year ahead (3):
- Wellbeing: 2022 will be about feeling your emotions in spaces made just for that: “Emotional escape rooms” are trending up. It’s also the year that people will get curious about “Mindful menstruation” and educate themselves about “Relation-tips” (of all kinds!).
- Travel: The most memorable adventures will happen after sundown in 2022 as people make a midnight escape after-hours with “Night moves.” And as our “Lake it ‘til you make it” trend kicks off, people will trade their beachfront getaways for an inland swim.
- Beauty & Fashion: People will shake up their beauty look in 2022 with trends like “Puff love,” “Nailscapes” and “Rebel cuts.” And for those interested in shaking things up with their clothing instead, they’ll try out “Pearlcore,” “Dopamine dressing” or “Oh my goth.”
- Celebration & Food: From adoption parties to breakup cakes, people will take any reason to celebrate in 2022 with our “Altbashes” trend. And when it comes to cuisine, people will go back to the basics with “Ancestral eats” from all over the world.
Finally, we’re making it easier than ever for Pinners to discover and try our 2022 trends that fit their aesthetic through our first-ever in-app experience. Pinterest Predicts: Your 2022 is a personalized Idea Pin that will take Pinners on a journey through ideas they’ve loved, trends they might have been first to try and show their most inspired month in 2021, to our predictive suggestions of things they should try in 2022. This experience is rolling out in the coming month.
After many months of a global pandemic, people are looking to the future with excitement and an open mindset. They’re rethinking their appearance, their celebrations and the way they travel—and they’re doing so on Pinterest.
>> To view all of this year’s trends click HERE.
>> Explore trends at a glance with our downloadable PDF.
- Pinterest, Global analysis, November 2021
- Pinterest, analysis of English language searches, global, July 2019-2020 vs. July 2020-June 2021)
- Pinterest, search data, global, analysis period Oct 2019-Sep 2021