The Pinterest x Zola 2023 Wedding Trends Report
With more than 2 billion wedding ideas on Pinterest and over 2 million couples who’ve chosen Zola as their trusted partner in wedding planning, Pinterest and Zola are teaming up to reveal the biggest wedding trends of 2023.
According to Zola, today’s go-to wedding planning platform, supporting all couples in bringing their unique and authentic wedding visions to life, Pinterest is the #1 source of initial wedding inspiration for its community, with 75% of Zola couples citing Pinterest as a major source of inspiration and stating both platforms support couples as they plan weddings that reflect their individuality.
Marrying Pinterest trends with Zola expert insights will help couples bring inspiration to realization throughout their entire planning process from engagement to newlywed life, while ensuring their individuality is reflected through a personalized experience.
From trending themes and top shopped wedding dresses to sustainable ideas and incredible venues, the Pinterest x Zola 2023 Wedding Trends report showcases the most relevant wedding trends of the year based on what Pinners are searching and saving to their boards along with what couples on Zola are planning.
Eco-Friendly and Non-Traditional Wedding Themes & Decor
Gen-Z is redefining tradition and challenging the norm, looking for ways to celebrate every day along the planning journey without the added stress that often comes with wedding planning. Pinterest insights show Pinners are searching for non-traditional and unique wedding ideas that reflect their wallets and values. Given the current economic climate, couples are specifically looking for budget and earth-conscious ways to plan their wedding day. According to Zola, the average cost of weddings will be approximately $29,000 in 2023, with 19% of couples incorporating thrifted elements into their wedding looks and decor. On Pinterest, searches for ‘leaf confetti’ and ‘eco-friendly wedding decor’ increased by 105% and 230%, respectively, signaling a rising trend towards sustainably-focused weddings in 2023.
And weddings are going green in every sense, with the trend taking on new meaning for couples selecting their wedding colors, invites and gifts. On Zola, searches for green wedding invitations have increased by 81%, with the Galata theme being the most popular website theme and top-selling Zola wedding invitation of all time, featuring eucalyptus leaves. Sales for sage green registry gifts on Zola are also up 31%, and eucalyptus colored gifts up 26%.
Zola Expert Tip: Going green can also lead to savings. Zola couples are not only sending free digital save-the-dates and collecting RSVPs through their wedding websites, but they are also shopping for affordable, eco-friendly options such as wedding paper printed on Zola’s recycled paper. And, couples are also taking advantage of Zola’s budget tool to track their budget at every stage in the process.
Shop the Trends
- Searches for ‘maximalist wedding’ increased 1900%
- Hot pink wedding colors +465%
- Barbie wedding theme: +140%
- Disco wedding theme: +110%
Non Traditional weddings
- Searches for ‘underwater wedding’ increased 305%
- Skiing wedding +75%
- Airplane hangar wedding +40%
- Modern western wedding 435%
- Searches for ‘emerald green and rust wedding’ increased +1050%
- Terracotta mens suit wedding +175%
- Rust and eucalyptus wedding +140%
- Copper ties groomsmen +30%
Gen Z: Rise of the Alt Wedding
- Searches for ‘anti bride wedding’ increased +490%
- Non traditional wedding vows +205%
- Nontraditional wedding dresses +110%
- Ugly wedding: +110%
Cost effective and Sustainable Weddings
- Searches for ‘Eco friendly wedding decor’ increased 230%
- Leaf confetti +105%
- Wedding gown preservation +135%
- Upcycle wedding dress: +50%
Wedding Style & Beauty Trends
Pinners come with the intention to discover what they want to shop - Products are added daily from merchants and the number of products saved to boards by users has increased 50% over the last year.
With the most useful inspirational content and inclusive beauty features, Pinterest is the best place for planning the wedding look that brings out the beauty of the individuals. Pinners are searching for and saving makeup inspiration to their boards that match their skin tones using the first-of-its-kind skin tone ranges feature and discovering hair style inspiration for their hair textures with the hair pattern search feature for their special day.
- Boards for “Ethereal makeup” increased 845%
- glam wedding makeup +120%
- Long hair wedding styles +50%
- Engagement hairstyles: 60%
Pinterest Tip: Want to try on new makeup without having to leave your home? Try Pinterest’s AR Try On Tool by tapping “Try On” in the Pinterest camera or check search results, where items that are available in AR show up with a “Try It” button. You can save the looks for later reference or purchase, or explore different looks with similar lip shades and eyeshadow colors.
Top Shopped Wedding Dresses on Pinterest
- Miranda Dress Olivia Bottega ($999)
- Ella Dress Olivia Bottega ($990)
- The Water Ripple Textured Cami Dress RIHOAS ($37)
- Luca Dress Liz Martinez ($6,500)
- Barbie Wedding Dress With Puffy Sleeves D & D Clothing ($1,700)
- Rhea Dress Vivienne Westwood ($8,065)
- Hayley Lace + Crepe Wedding Dress Dreamers & Loves ($2,700)
- Carmen A Line Tulle Wedding Dress COCOMELODY ($769)
- Jacqueline 2 in 1 Dress Olivia Bottega ($2,000)
- Freyja Dress Vivienne Westwood ($13,190)
Guests, Wedding Party & Bouquets
Pinterest 2023 trends show that mismatched bridesmaid dresses and re-imagined monochromatic themes for the wedding parties are on the rise. Wedding guest outfits are also a major focus for Pinners. Searches for “wedding guest outfit inspiration” is up a whopping 3800% year over year. Pinners are also saving their inspiration to their boards to shop for the best outfits for the upcoming wedding they are attending this year - boards titled “wedding guest dress” have doubled since last year.
According to Zola, more than two-thirds of couples (69%) are mixing wedding party attire with non-traditional mix-and-match outfits.
- Searches for ‘mismatched black bridesmaid dresses’ increased 535%
- “All different bridesmaids dresses” +520%.
- Dark blue bridesmaid dresses mismatched +110%
- Dusty pink bridesmaid dresses mismatched +85%
- Searches for ‘Hijabi dresses for wedding guests’ increased 265%
- Garden wedding guest attire +110%
- Androgynous wedding outfit +85%
- Queer wedding outfit guest +315%
Cost effective and creative bouquets
Pinners are searching for cost effective and creative ways to bring their ideal wedding bouquets to life. Butterfly bouquets and ribbon flowers add a trendy Y2K flare while the top rising flower by Gen Z Pinners is a timeless classic - Baby’s Breath (+610%).
- Searches for ‘pearl wedding bouquet’ increased 95%
- Antler bouquet +80%
- Butterfly bouquet + 5535% (Gen Z)
- Ribbon flowers bouquet +515% (Gen Z)
- Baby’s breath bouquet aesthetic +240% (Gen Z)
Wedding Destinations, Dream Venues & Travel
Following years of travel restrictions, Pinners and Zola planners are eager to travel the world for their weddings and honeymoons, and bring their favorite destinations to life close to home. Pinterest boards titled ‘dream wedding venues’ have increased 190% and searches for ‘best honeymoon places’ went up 325% over the last year, with top honeymoon destinations across Africa, Europe, as well as in the United States.
For many couples, their wedding vision can fly international, but they may also select a venue very close to home. According to Zola, 55% of couples are choosing a venue local to where they live and 18% are choosing a venue local to their hometown, while 6% are choosing something overseas. With Zola’s vast selection of local wedding venues, it's never been easier for couples to search for and book the perfect place that brings their online inspiration into reality and fits every key requirement from budget to style.
Weddings on Pinterest
This report builds on Pinterest’s continued momentum in the wedding space and beyond. With recent partnerships with renowned publishers Conde Nast Entertainment and Dot Dash Meredith, Pinterest now offers exclusive content including “Wedding Dress 360” by Brides, showcasing this season's most popular wedding dress styles and wedding trends brought to life in 360-degree videos featuring real people. Additionally Vogue Wedding editors and wedding planners have curated the newly launched Vogue Weddings Pinterest profile featuring unique boards dedicated to the biggest wedding trends of the year.
No matter one’s style or budget, Pinterest is giving couples and guests the inspiration to create the wedding of their dreams. For the full report please reach out to the Pinterest press team.
Top International Themed Weddings
- Searches for ‘italian wedding themes’ increased 640%
- Marriage theme provence +480%
- Spanish wedding theme +170%
- Grecian wedding theme +85%
Top International Honeymoon Destinations
- Searches for ‘Morocco honeymoon’ increased 75%
- Honeymoon in Croatia +190%
- Azores honeymoon +135%
- Cape town honeymoon +60%
Top Wedding Venues on Zola
Top US Honeymoon Destinations
- Searches for ‘cheap honeymoon destinations in the US’ increased 105%
- Charleston honeymoon +70%
- Honeymoon beach Florida +85%
- Asheville honeymoon +75%
Pinterest internal data, US, January 2022 to December 2022
Zola internal data, 2013-Present
Zola First Look Report
Zola internal data January 1 2022 to April 2 2022 - January 1 2023 to April 1 2023
Zola internal data from January 1, 2019 to present
Zola internal data January 2 2022 - April 2 2022 vs. January 1 2023 - April 1 2023
Pinterest internal data; Top Pins by save volume; Global; February 15, 2023 to March 15, 2023
Pinterest internal data; product Pin saves; Jan-Feb 2022 vs Jan-Feb 2023
Pinterest internal board data, Global, February 15, 2022 to March 15, 2022 vs February 15, 2023 to March 15, 2023
Zola internal data April 4, 2023
Pinterest internal search data, Global Pinners ages 18-24, February 15, 2022 to March 15, 2022 vs February 15, 2023 to March 15, 2023
Zola First Look Report
Zola Internal data from the last 52 weeks